Do you intend to be a concreter? And you don’t have the idea of what you may likely do on-site? There’s absolutely nothing to worry about. We have been to a different site to study some concreting company in Sydney. We put into writings the answers to some questions that will ask the concreters. Apart from that, we were there physically to ensure that we’ll give you vital information about the work activities you might do as a would-be concreter.
Before we jump to the details, let me quickly chip in this, there’s nothing so special in being a concreter. Concreting services are straightforward to deliver if one follows the laydown rules given by the contractor or a professional concreter. Hence, we are saying this to assure you that this article will serve as background knowledge before knowing the practical aspects.
However, it is expedient for you to pay rapt attention to this write-up because we will be revealing deep things that money can’t buy to you. As a would-be concreter, there are some skills you must possess. There’s a connection between those skills and the work activities. If one is unable to retain those skills, one may likely fail on the field. Let me briefly chip it in.
What are the necessary skills that will enhance practical, concrete work activities?
- Mathematical skills: It is impossible for a man without a piece of knowledge in mathematics to effectively deliver a perfect concrete service. Concrete services, at times, require specific calculations. For instance, there’s always a particular measurement of cement to be mixed with water and other materials in plastering a wall. Therefore, even if it is a bit of mathematics ability, I think it would help.
- Teamwork skill: Concreters always work together as a team. You must develop teamwork skills if you want to become a concreter successfully. How can one create a teamwork skill? A man can build teamwork skills by bringing down his ego to find it easy to listen to others. Teamwork started from active listening.
- Physical fitness: Concreting job requires strength. Have you ever wondered the reason why males mainly do it? Of course, there are female concreters, but just a few of them. It is a job that is meant for only those that are physically fit.
- Ability to follow precise directions: Don’t worry; you will see how this skill is valuable when we move down to concrete work activities. A man that cannot follow directions closely cannot be delivered a perfect concrete service.
However, having known some basic skills that you must possess, let us move straight to the work activities of concreters on sites.
As a would-be concreter, when you get to a site, you might:
- Mix up concrete on site: This duty is essential. There’s no how a concreter will not mix up concrete on site. They are working on concrete. That is the first work you will do as a concreter when you are in the field of work. The mixing of cement with water, sand and water with other materials will become a concrete that will be suitable for covering bricks, covering floors and other building structures. It is not complicated; we are just preparing you for the journey ahead.
- Pour concrete into laid out areas: After mixing up some materials to have their concrete, another aspect of work on-site is spreading concrete into some areas. This task is done during flooring on site.
- Level up the concrete: Concreters use special tools in levelling up a floor with concrete. The essence of flattening with concrete is to ensure that the flooring is at the same level.
- Operate machinery to float, trowel and finish the concrete face: You will operate a machine in the floating trowel and finish the concrete facade. Of course, there’s no cause for alarm. They will teach you how to handle those machines when you get to the field. Don’t forget this article is to give you background knowledge.
- Install supportive wire mesh to hold the concrete in place: A concreter has to know how to install wire mesh. The essence of installing wire mesh is to keep concrete in place. In this situation, the concrete will hold on to the wire mesh; when it dries off, it will become irresistible.
- Monitor weather conditions: It is your duty as a concreter to monitor weather conditions and how they might affect the curing of the concrete. Professional concreter will not install or poured concrete in a formwork when he knows that the weather condition will not support the drying of the concrete. Therefore, as a would-be concreter, you can start working on it from now. Learn how to study weather conditions. There are some courses online that will put you through.
- Take measures to prevent defects: Don’t forget I mentioned mathematical skills earlier. Concreters must know how to take measurements to avoid deficiencies. So, prepare yourself. You will need mathematical skills to measure the floor or the walls you’re working on.
- Design various textures by shaping the concrete surface with special tools or exposing aggregate: This is one of the unique ways of using concretes. However, you can’t learn this here. It is purely practical. Therefore, our candid advice for you is to look for a professional concreter near you to help you out.
- Color concrete surfaces: It is part of what you may likely come across on site. Professionals will be there to guide you through.
- Cut seams or joints into a set of concrete: There’s no how you can escape this if you want to be a professional concreter. They make use of jointers to join the seams together with concrete.
Finally, this write-up is pointing directly to what you might face in the field of work. As a would-be concreter, we implore you to get yourself prepared. We listed ten possible work activities that you may likely face. Click here to read about What You Need to Know About Concreters In Sydney.